Monday, April 27, 2009

Garden Fever

One of my goals this summer is to help my Mom get healthier and lose some weight. Her problem is too little exercise and too much eating out. I'm super excited that this morning I got her to exercise with me! My Dad set up the treadmill and our two stationary bikes in a row downstairs in front of the tv and we exercised side by side. Hopefully I can make this an often occurrence! I biked and she walked while we watched Regis & Kelly.


Here are my stats:

45 minutes

145 avg heart rate

278 calories


My Mom only did 25 minutes but it's a start. Then she helped me unpack three of my bags of random stuff. If I do two or three a day I should be unpacked in a week! It's pretty important because I have absolutely nothing to wear. I'm stuck with only plain tank tops and running shorts for now.


Healthifying my Home Life Part 1: Start a Garden


Gardening is a great way to stay healthy while living at home! Other than getting me to be active outside, I will have fresh vegetables all the time once everything's ready for harvest.


I didn't get around to starting my own garden today but I went over to boyfriend's and worked in his garden. Gardening is hard work!!! I wore my hrm because I was curious how many calories I was burning. In an hour and 45 minutes I burned around 140 calories. Not bad!


We had to finish expanding his garden to get it to the right size so the majority of the time was spent ripping up grass with a pitchfork, throwing it in a wheel barrow, and then wheel barrowing it over to the woods and dumping it once it was full. I was supposed to do my arm workout today but I think the gardening arm workout will suffice!



After doing this we had to remove all the rocks in the dirt and wheelbarrow them away before we were finally able to plant.



Then we planted a few tomato plants and a few eggplants.


Before

After


eggplant

tomato


He already has a lot of stuff planted from before: asparagus, radishes, strawberries, onions, carrots, lettuce, peppers, and spinach.


strawberry!


After all that hard work, I went inside and made lunch. I was in the mood for a salad after working with the vegetables.


Here's my toppings:

  • strawberries
  • apple
  • peanuts
  • craisins
  • wheat germ
  • pear
  • cottage cheese
I ate it outside on the deck and soaked up some more rays. It's supposed to be 95 degrees tomorrow - what kind of Spring weather is this?!

I'm off to head home, shower, and eat dinner. Have a good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment