Friday, April 24, 2009

Spring Fitness


Time is flying by today! I said my goodbye’s at work, finished my catalog, and am gearing up for my run. It is SO nice out! Possibly too hot to run!


This year I’ve rediscovered my love of fitness. I’ve been going to the gym on an off throughout high school and college but it was always to lose weight, never for health reasons. This year it’s all changed!


I don’t want to lose any more weight, I just like including cardio as a part of my life. I feel good knowing that I’m doing my body good. Right now I do cardio 6 days a week. I got the Nike plus sensor for Christmas, and combined with my HRM, I am always up for running now so I can see my stats at the end! It’s a huge motivator!


I ran my first 10k last month and felt like I could have kept going. I’m running another one with my brother on May 9th. I really want to do a sprint triathlon and am thinking about training for one but wish I had someone train with. I can’t wait to get home and add swimming and biking to my cardio routine, and possibly join a gym and take some classes! I currently just do the elliptical and run.


I also do strength training 5-6 days a week, alternating between abs and arms. I love strength training because I feel so much stronger and am actually starting to be able to see my abs, which is a first!


There are endless amounts of studies that scream the benefits of strength training, even just 2-3 days a week, from increased metabolic rate (allowing your body to burn more calories throughout the day) to preventing Osteoporosis! I find it the easiest to keep up with too. Lately I’ve just been doing it at night while watching TV. It goes so quick and I don’t feel bad about sitting in front of the television (although my roommates sometimes give me weird looks).


I had to bring a packed lunch to work today and in order to use up my remaining perishables, I had a simple sandwich. Nothing fancy, just hickory smoked Tofurky on whole wheat bread with lettuce and mustard. It sure hit the spot though! I also used up the rest of my grapes.


Ok, I’m off to go run the streets of Pittsburgh for my last time. It actually got rated the 10th best walking city in the U.S. recently. Go Pittsburgh!

No comments:

Post a Comment